Monday, May 11, 2009

First Day in Europe!

Today has been a very busy day! My flight went very smoothly. Riding coach wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either. I had a decent dinner and passed the time watching the movie Defiance. Saying goodbye to Anna and my family was definitely one of the toughest things I've done in a long time. This is strictly off the record, but I pretty much cried until I fell asleep during takeoff. I'm pretty sure the guy I sat next to was wondering what was up with the emotional teenage boy next to him. We were pretty awkward seat partners. The only thing I said to him was "excuse me" to use the restroom....oh well!

I landed safely at the Frankfurt airport this morning and things haven't really slowed down since. I was able to call Anna from the airport around 9:00 AM German time using Brian David's iPhone (just a little plug for Apple :P), which means she stayed up until 3:00 AM her time waiting for me. BEST GIRLFRIEND EVER!!! We hung around in the airport until the bus came to pick us up. I pretty much slept on the bus ride from Frankfurt to Metz, but my family will be the first to tell you that that isn't a big surprise. I always fall asleep whenever the opportunity presents itself.

The GTL campus is pretty cool. There's one main building for classes and then there are 3 dorms for the students. Most of us live in LaFayette, which is where I am as well. The view from my room is awesome! I live right next to a huge field full of wheat and yellow flowers. I spent most of the day moving into my room and getting everything organized. I also took a trip with Scott to Cora, the local grocery store. It was a fun experience trying to find what we needed to buy when we had no clue what the signs meant! We eventually found what we were looking for, but I'll need to go back again soon for more stuff. I made my first international purchase. Using my credit card here was just as easy as back home. They make sure it's easy to spend your money.


My room is just as awesome as the view. I have the whole place to my house. I think it might get lonely at times, but I'll also learn to enjoy the privacy. I have my own full bathroom and kitchen! I'm hanging around for the rest of the night. I have still have some more unpacking and organizing to do. I'm also trying to stay up for awhile longer to get better adjusted to the time difference. Scott and I are also working out our travel plans for the weekend. I think we're going to take small day trips on Saturday and Sunday to Paris and somewhere yet to be decided. We're going to start off nice and easy to get the swing of
things. The Eurail system is quite intimidating.

Anyways...until next time!

2 comments:

  1. You have such a perfectly beautiful European room! Your dorm name is so very appropriate..."LaFayette." And I have a feeling you'll be getting to know the people at Cora really well throughout your stay =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. LaFayette is French for Fayetteville or as I like to say...Fayette village. Just like home!

    ReplyDelete